But it's not too late - there is an election, and you can vote to Protect the Reef
People all around the world love the Great Barrier Reef, but in this state election only Queenslanders can vote.
Fight for the Reef identified six vital policy areas where action is needed to protect the Reef:
- Banning industrial dumping and minimise dredging in the Reef’s World Heritage Area
- Protecting precious wetlands and pristine areas of the Reef coast forever
- Stopping farm pollution harming the Reef
- Protecting our rivers, bushland and community rights through strong and fair laws
- Bringing back our fish, turtles, dugong and precious wildlife
- Turning down the heat: Delivering more renewable energy for Queensland.
Fight for the Reef project partner WWF Australia has released a scorecard rating the Reef policies of the main parties a week out from the Queensland election.
Rankings to date were based solely on a response to a questionnaire. Unfortunately not all the parties provided a response by the deadline.
Click to download larger image.
An updated scorecard will be released on or before Thursday 29 January 2015.
If you’re a Queenslander, you can send a message to politicians from all parties asking them to make commitments to protect the Reef, before the election.
Major party policies can be found here:
Labor Party: Saving the Great Barrier Reef (pdf download)
The Greens: www.qld.greens.org.au/our-plan-save-reef
Liberal National Party: www.qld.lnp.org.au/policies
Palmer United Party: www.palmerunited.com/national-policy
Katter's Australian Party: www.kattersaustralianparty.com.au/policies
You can put the pressure on by sending a message to your local election candidates today.
Not in Queensland? Click here to send a message to 4 key decision makers.