QLD must urgently transition to a renewable energy future.
Tell the Queensland Government we are counting on them. Send a submission today.
To investigate how we can transition to 50 per cent renewable energy by 2030 – the state’s Renewable Energy Target – the Queensland Government convened an expert panel. The expert panel’s report found that achieving the renewable energy target would add between 6,400 – 6,700 jobs and $5 billion in value to the economy. What’s more, the report found Queenslanders’ power bills wouldn’t be impacted.
The Government is seeking public comment on the expert panel’s report.
This is our chance to tell our political leaders how keen we are for a rapid transition to renewable energy to create new jobs and protect our precious Reef.
Please join us in making a submission to the Queensland Government on the expert panel’s report and urging the government to get on with the renewable energy transition our Reef so desperately needs.
To the Queensland Renewable Energy Expert Panel
Thank you for supporting an increase in renewable energy in Queensland. Renewable energy is the only way to secure the future of our Reef and the 69,000 jobs that depend on it.
The work the Queensland Government has been doing to support renewable energy projects to date is good, however Queenslanders know more needs to be done.
The target of 50% renewables by 2030 is essential but we still need to aim to get to 100% renewables by 2035 if we are to avoid the worst impacts of global warming.
We ask that the Expert Panel amends its Report to recommend that:
- the Queensland government act to secure more than the 400MW proposed by the panel for new renewable energy generation before 2020.
- our renewable energy targets are legislated. Legislating the target provides more security for the industry and communities, demonstrates that the government is committed to help us meet our emissions reduction targets and minimises the likelihood that this target will be dropped should our government change.
- Queensland prepares a plan to help our communities and industry transition to a low emission state and to ensure this transition is fair and smooth.
- This plan maps out the clean job alternatives for those communities affected by the transition from coal-fired power to a renewable energy future.
- The public sector and the community have an important role to play as owners of renewable energy generation.
Renewable energy benefits everyone! It protects the Reef, it's compatible with tourism and farming, it brings jobs to rural Queenslanders, it provides more energy security and will inevitably be cheaper than fossil fuels. It is also an essential part of our actions needed to reduce the impacts of global warming.
Please ask for stronger action to support our renewable energy industry in Queensland, for all of us, and our Reef.